Bladder Cancer Treatment in Salt Lake City, UT
Modern Bladder Cancer Treatments
In 2013, 55,000 men and 18,000 women will be diagnosed with bladder cancer in the United States. Learning about bladder cancer will help you diagnose and treat it faster.
Bladder Cancer Symptoms
Bladder cancer most commonly causes the following symptoms:
- Finding blood in urine which causes urine to look rusty or dark red.
- Feeling an urgent need to empty your bladder more often than usual.
- Feeling pain when you use the restroom.
Common Reasons for Getting Bladder Cancer
When getting diagnosed with any cancer, it’s natural to wonder what caused the disease. Though there is not one definite answer, there are risk factors that may have caused the disease such as:
- Smoking: Smoking tobacco is the most common risk factor for bladder cancer.
- Working Around Chemicals: People who work in the dye, rubber, chemical, metal, textile and leather industries have an increased risk of getting bladder cancers because the chemicals they are working with may be cancer-causing.
- Family History of Bladder Cancer: People with family members who had bladder cancer or having a personal history with bladder cancer increases the risk of getting bladder cancer.
- Arsenic: Arsenic may be found in drinking water in some areas of the world.
Stages of Bladder Cancer
In order to properly treat bladder cancer, your doctor needs to learn the extent of the disease. The stages of bladder cancer are:
- Stage 0: The cancer cells are found only on the surface of the inner lining of the bladder.
- Stage I: The tumor has grown deeper into the lining of the bladder.
- Stage II: The tumor has invaded the muscle layer of the bladder.
- Stage III: The tumor has grown through the muscle to tissues near the bladder.
- Stage IV: The tumor has invaded the wall of the pelvis or abdomen, but has not spread to the lymph nodes.
Bladder Cancer Treatment
Depending on the stage, your doctor will treat bladder cancer with surgery, chemotherapy, biological therapy or radiation therapy.