OVER 70% OF MEN IN THEIR 60s HAVE SYMPTOMS OF BPH1
BPH affects more than 500 million men worldwide, with many men suffering from symptoms of enlarged prostate.1 You no longer have to be one of them!
You have taken the first step in improving your symptoms through a proven approach called the UroLift® System treatment. This booklet will not take the place of a consultation with your physician, but it will answer some of the questions you may have before your UroLift System treatment.
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, or BPH, is a very common condition in which the prostate enlarges as men get older. Over 70% of men in their 60s have symptoms of BPH.1 While BPH is a benign (non-cancerous) condition, it can cause loss of productivity and sleep, depression and decreased quality of life.
WHAT IS AN ENLARGED PROSTATE?
The prostate is a male reproductive gland, about the size of a walnut, that produces fluid for semen. The prostate surrounds the urethra, which is the tube that carries urine from the bladder out of the body. As the prostate enlarges, it presses on and blocks the urethra, causing bothersome urinary symptoms.
BPH symptoms include:
- Frequent need to urinate both day and night
- Weak or slow urinary stream
- A sense that you cannot completely empty your bladder
- Difficulty or delay in starting urination
- Urgent feeling of needing to urinate
- A urinary stream that stops and starts
AN ENLARGED PROSTATE CAUSES BOTHERSOME URINARY SYMPTOMS
1. Berry, S.J., et al., J Urology 1984; 2013 US Census Bureau international database