Male Infertility for Treatment in Salt Lake City, UT
Though fertility can be seen as a woman’s issue, it’s vital that both men and women get tested if a couple is struggling to conceive. Dr. Gange specializes in male infertility treatment from his office in Salt Lake City.
Causes of Male Infertility:
A man can be infertile for a number of reasons:
- STDs: If chlamydia and gonorrhea are left untreated, they can cause infertility in men.
- Hormonal Imbalances: Hormonal imbalances in the pituitary and thyroid glands can cause infertility. Luckily, hormonal imbalances that cause infertility can be treated with medication.
- Blockages: It is possible for men to be born with blockages in the testicles. The blockages can prevent sperm from getting into the semen.
- Retrograde Ejaculation: Retrograde ejaculation is a disorder where semen doesn’t come out of the penis during ejaculation. Instead, it enters the bladder. This can be caused by diabetes, medications and bladder surgery.
- Lifestyle or Environmental Factors: Excessive exercise, drug use, and other factors can affect fertility.
Diagnosing Male Infertility
Where the male is suspected of being infertile, physicians have several tests and procedures to confirm a diagnosis. These include:
- A semen analysis to provide information about the quantity and quality of both the semen and the sperm it contains. Semen collection is generally done on two different days as samples from the same man can be different at different times.
- Blood work may be ordered to check hormone levels of follicle-stimulating hormones (FSH) and testosterone (T).
- If the semen analysis test results aren’t normal, additional tests may be ordered by your physician.
Treating Male Infertility
Treatments for male infertility may include:
- Medication to treat hormone imbalances and erectile dysfunction.
- Surgery to correct or repair abnormalities or damage to reproductive organs. Surgery can be effective for repairing blockages in the tubes that carry sperm.
- Surgery can also be used for repair of varicocele.
Schedule a Consultation for Male Infertility in Salt Lake City
Contact Dr. Steven Gange, a urologist in Salt Lake City at (801) 993-1800 for a consultation or treatment options for male infertility. Dr. Gange has over 25 years of clinical and research experience.